Importance of Forestry
Plan of action:
In case someone has more time and wants to invest in Forestry optional, she can first do the common portion of environment and forestry (highlighted in decoding syllabus). This should not come at the cost of basic sources for prelims. A maximum of total 20 hours for all these topics is suggested as a good investment. These chapters done from M&P has potential to help in Prelims. E.g. Critical wildlife habitat (2018 prelims Q, M&P page 586), Watershed management (2014 prelims Q, Ch 9 M & P), Contour bunding (2013 prelims Q , M &P Page 230), Gypsum application (2017 famous prelims Q, Gypsum application mentioned in page 233, under chemical measures for soil moisture conservation) etc.
After CSM(civil services mains) and before IFS Mains
- Cover M & P book from cover to cover (estimated time 2-3 weeks for 1st round). Chapterwise observations/remarks are available in decoded forestry syllabus.
- There are typical questions repeatedly asked, prepare them well. E.g. NTFPs.
- Some topics are not there in M & P, but asked in PYQ. e.g. Provenance trial etc .Just google them and get basic about those terms without investing much time in random searches.
- Practice 2-3 test papers
- Some people colour diagrams (I could not do), may be done but not at the cost of paper completion.
- To be included in answers for getting more marks. FEEL ISD
- Revision of prelims/mains notes for environment
- M & P overview (not at the cost of DAF)
- IFS website
- Some topics
ALL THE BEST … :), as mentioned in forestry syllabus break up, I will try giving short videos on Silvicultural systems, Management and Mensuration after CSM.
Mail me your queries at email@example.com
Rishav gupta sir notes https://rishavgupta.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/forestry.pdf
Ram Prakash book
Other useful strategies
Some abbreviations used above
IFS- Indian Forest Service, CSM – Civil services mains, NTFP- Non timber forest produce, PYQ- Previous year questions,